As 2014 comes to a close, we wanted to give you a quick recap of all that’s happened for Class Dismissed over the past 3 months.
After more than 4 years of hard work, we finally finished the film and premiered it in Los Angeles in October to a sold out crowd. It was an incredible feeling to be finally sharing the film with so many people, many of them having contributed in various ways to get us to that point. We then embarked on our West Coast tour, making stops in San Francisco, Oakland, Portland, Seattle and Monroe, selling out all the screenings except Monroe. (Monroe has a very small population but we calculated that 1% of the population was actually at our screening that night!)
After a short break to recover, we continued on with screenings in Chicago, New York City, Boston, Charlotte, and Raleigh before circling back and finishing out the year in Santa Cruz, California. It was a crazy couple of months but we had a great time and learned a lot.
Here are some of the highlights:
- We met people from nearly every homeschool and Alt Ed method and it was fascinating to talk to them and hear about their experiences.
- In Charlotte we met several 2nd and even 3rd generation homeschoolers! Both new and longtime homeschoolers are enjoying the film and it’s been resonating with viewers on many different levels.
- Almost all of the key experts in the film have now seen it at one or other of the screenings.
- We received hundreds of positive comments and reactions to the film and it makes all the hard work we’ve put in so worth it! You can read some of those comments here.
- We heard from a number of families who pulled their kids out of school after seeing the film.
- We’ve had numerous teachers, educators, parents, homeschoolers and otherwise interested participants in our audiences and the questions and comments during the Q&A sessions have been great.
But getting the film out into the world has not been easy and we’ve had many challenges. Our schedule has been insane since launching the film. When we did our East Coast tour we did 4 screenings in 5 days in 3 states that took us through 7 airports! And to top it off we got rear-ended on the way to Boston during a very long post-thanksgiving drive from New York. (We were fine and so was the car, but it wasn’t fun.)
And being away from our own families has been tough, although getting to meet so many other families who are on this path has been very rewarding.
We’d like to thank everyone who came out to see the film and who have supported us in so many ways. As a special treat we’d like to share these videos highlighting what audiences on the West and East coast tours thought about the film.
We wish you all a Happy Holiday season and we hope to meet more of you in the coming months.
Jeremy & Dustin